The Gospel According to Batman

Over the weekend I watched Batman Begins with my kids and one phrase grabbed hold of me. I believe it empowered me.

From the words of Rachel to Bruce Wayne after he tells her that he was a good person on the inside, "It isn't what is inside you, it is your actions that define you."

How easy it is to say we are good people on the inside, but it really comes down to our words and the actions that we take that truely define what is in the inside.

The Bible says in Luke 6:44-45, "Each tree is recognized by its own fruit. People do not pick figs from thornbushes, or grapes from briers. The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks."

Our words and our actions define us. They define our faith and our beliefs. They tell the world what is growing in our heart. We may use obscene language and say it was a slip up. We may look at inappropriate material and say we fell into sin. We may steal from our employers and say it was a small thing. But the Bible says, "out of the overflow of his heart his mouth speaks." Out of our overflow we speak and as we speak we also act.

I admit, I am not a perfect man. I struggle. I struggle as a husband, father, and business man. Because I struggle, I ask my Father to examine my heart. I ask Him to reveal to me where I need to change. I then ask for strength and guidance to change. Because as a man I have no power to change others. I only have the ability to change myself with God's grace. But in the act of changing myself the world around can also be changed.

"Be the change you want to see." - Mahatma Gandhi

Orlando Javien, Jr., The Man of Many Hats